Some relaxing days at the coast

It was totally worth swapping the baking hot and dry interior of Croatia for the cooler coast. We chose the campsite in Moşčenika Draga, Istria based on its convenient location and relatively reasonable prices. When we turned up we were lucky to snatch the penultimate spot which happened to be next to a major roundabout. During our check in we were told about the fishermen’s evening with a famous Croatian male octet as this evenings main act. After setting up for the night and dinner we strolled down to the harbour to join the party. It was interesting to see teenagers as well as 60 year olds singing along to the same music. The atmosphere was very relaxed even when the fireworks started 5 minutes early and cut off the encore of the band. A shame after their two hour concert.

The promenade

The next day we ventured to the beach less than 500m away from our campsite for some swimming and scouting for activities. The hot weather and location of the village in a wide bay made boating and stand up paddleboarding (SUP) rather unexciting. Diving was a very tempting alternative especially because it involved actually being in the cool sea rather than on top of it. Of the two dive centers in the village we chose Marina Diving Centre located in the resort with the same name and 100m away from the beach. We went to their office before we actually went to the beach and after a chat with the super friendly staff signed up for a trial dive. It all happened so fast we ended up with less than two hours on the beach before our first dive together.

Our instructor Bojana gave us a quick introduction into our equipment and the exercises we would be doing under water. After a bit of a struggle with the neoprene suits we found ourselves walking down the beach through sunbathing people and little children in our full scuba gear; thankfully carrying our flippers.

Cute little fish

Zoë has been diving once before but for Matthias this was the first time he was able to breathe and stay underwater for more than about 40 seconds. It was easy getting used to the constant breathing but getting the buoyancy right was a bit trickier. There were so many valves on our vests to let air out and working out how much air to put in took us some time. Before the proper diving started we had some training exercises. The easy ones included re-capturing a lost regulator and clearing the mouthpiece both by blowing through it and using the cylinder air. After this it became slightly more difficult. We had to half fill our masks with water and then clear them again by breathing out through our nose. It works well but definitely requires some practice; especially in sea water. Saltwater in your nose isn’t very pleasant even if it’s only a little bit. There are a lot of things to get used to whilst diving, particularly breathing underwater, equalising your ears to adjust to the pressure and adjusting your boyancy. Despite all the new things to learn, we both really enjoyed our 2 hour diving experience (roughly 45min in the water). It was thrilling to feel like we were a part of the submarine life rather than looking down on it like you do when snorkelling. Even after it had ended we didn’t manage to leave the office and spent the rest of the afternoon chatting to the staff in the office.

Sky on fire after a thunderstorm

Now we were in a slight predicament. We had planned to do a diving course for quite some time but never had the time to do it in the UK. The local schools (in Glasgow) were expensive and had inconvenient times and we had been too busy with our wedding and travel preparations. Usually an open water diver course consists of 10 lessons: five in a pool and five in open water which are held over ten weeks. After our dive we were even more determined to get the open water diver (up to 18m deep) so we can go diving in other places during our travel. We had considered doing it all somewhere in Southeast Asia but the course costs are actually not much different from those in Europe. Marina Dive Center offered an express version of the course including only the minimum number of required dives (five) for a lower price than UK and Germany. Our trial dive counted as the first and we could complete the other four within two days.


In the end we decided to sign up and finish the course we had already sort of started and get our open water diver licences in Croatia. We did this for a few reasons. The first was the time and being able to complete the whole course in two days. We knew this was pushing it and more dives during the course meant more experience and time under water. The other advantage was that having the license opened the door to spontaneous dives during our travel before we get to southeast Asia where we originally wanted to do the course. Once there, we also won’t have to bother about finding a good and trustworthy diving school but can go underwater almost anywhere. We had met almost all the staff during our first afternoon there and got a very good impression about them and their level of training and professionalism. It was also cheaper since our trial dive cost got deducted from the course price.

Since the school was part of SSI we could access the theory material online and through their app for free instead of having to buy a book (PADI). The only annoying thing about this was that it took one hour to download the version with videos. When we signed up the next day we met our two other fellow participants and teacher. Zoë was the only non-German speaker but was happy to do the course in German. It turned out that the dive centre owner Robbie, Susanne our instructor and Matthias all come from the same region of Germany: Schwabia (a lot of Schwäbisch Deutsch followed this discovery).

Leopard snail

After a more detailed introduction into the equipment, hand signals and more exercises we got suited and booted and went into the lovely adriatic. The worst exercises this time were completely filling and clearing the mask as well as removing it, swimming some distance before putting it back on. We also practised taking of parts of the equipment, such as buoyancy jackets and weights, and putting it back on both on the surface and under water. Each of us had a panic moment during this session but we still managed and completed them. After all this work we also did some fun diving to practice our more general diving skills. Apart from various fish we found a white and blue jellyfish and starfish. Susanne even found an octopus hiding under a stone. We quickly forgot about our panic moments and really enjoyed being part of the underwater world and we were sad when Susanna told us the lesson was over and we had to wait till the next day to play fish again. Back at the campsite we spent the entire evening learning about the theory of diving.

Jelly fish

Dives four and five the next day were completely different. Dive four was another training dive at the beach with some more exercises and we had our first underwater photoshoot with a seahorse!

For our fifth and final dive we loaded our gear onto a trolley and went to the harbour to explore the schools’ house reef. It showed us why we did the course and what to expect from a reef. Since we had completed and passed the practical part we were free to explore the reef and it’s inhabitants. Susanne showed us some very colourful snails, fish and plants. There was a hundred times more things to see and discover that the dive was over far too quickly.

Matthias’s new friend

Zoë and I were the only ones from our course to take the theory on the same day. This left us with four hours to finish the last chapters, repetition and question each other. The exam consisted of 50 multiple choice questions and had a high pass mark of 80%. Both of us got three questions wrong (different ones; we didn’t copy off each other!). Now we are certified divers and free to dive up (or down) to 18m using compressed air. We cannot wait to put this to good use and explore seas and lakes around the world. We celebrated our achievement by joining the staff in a lounge bar where the boat captain played the drums during a salsa night.

Overall we were very happy with our experience and totally recommend the Marine Diving Center. We paid 2600 Kuna each (£313) all in which is a good price.

Zoë’s new friend

The next day we checked out and drove back to Rijeka after picking up our tempory diving cards and certificates. After restocking our supplies we headed north and into new adventures in Slovenia. Again we have proven that we aren’t very good at keeping still and doing nothing for greater lengths of time but we had an awesome time in Moşčenika Draga. The only thing we regret is not staying an extra day to relax and just lie on the beach but who knows what else we would have picked up then…

All photos in this post were taken by our instructor Susanne Frank. Thank you

4 Comments Add yours

  1. Sindy & Simon says:

    Congratulations to you both on successfully completing the diving course. Loving all the pictures from all places, please keep them coming.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks, will do. Hope you are both well 🙂


  2. Congratulations on getting certified! I recently got certified from SSI too. I did the course in Poland (where I live) and I paid slightly more than you did. We also chose the fast track option: we completed the pool part in three lessons and the open water in a weekend, about 5 dives in a murky lake.
    Your photos are absolutely brilliant! What equipment did you use? Sea horse is definitely the star. I haven’t seen it yet. What a beautiful place to do the course. The next dive for me (first one after certification!) will be in Sicily in two weeks. A bit nervous about buoyancy control and by the way, I disliked the mask clearing part the most as well. I had to do it so often because my mask got foggy very often. Luckily I think I’ve managed to do it properly by now. I will see how it goes in Sicily. Following you! 🙂


    1. Thank you! We are glad you like our blog! The underwater photos were taken by our instructor. She used an Olympus Tough (TG 5 I think) in an underwater case. Nothing else. We don’t know when we will get to dive next. It will be a while until we get to some warm waters. Once we are back home we will probably buy our own masks to avoid trouble in future.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s